Today, over 600,000 disabled people and their families enjoy the everyday freedom from leasing a vehicle through the Motability Scheme.
When you lease a car through the Motability Scheme, all or part of your mobility allowance is paid directly to Motability Operations Ltd for the length of the agreement.
What is available?
You can choose to lease a car, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV), scooter or powered wheelchair through the Motability Scheme.
With the Motability Scheme you can lease a car for three years or a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) for five years.
Vehicle adaptations are also available, many at no additional cost, to help with access, equipment loading and driving.
If you do not drive, you can nominate somebody to drive for you, as long as the vehicle is used for your benefit. This means that parents and carers can join the Scheme on behalf of a child aged three and above.
You can choose to lease a new vehicle with the following included:
- Servicing and maintenance
- Full breakdown assistance
- 20,000 mileage allowance per year of your lease
- Window and windscreen repair or replacement
- Replacement tyres
Vehicles are available from the major manufacturers. Some cars are available at less or no more than the cost of the weekly allowance, while other more expensive cars require an additional payment (known as an Advance Payment) to cover the cost of the lease.
Who can join?
To be eligible to join the Motability Scheme, you need to receive one of the following disability benefits and you must have at least 12 months’ award length remaining. Please note that the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through the Scheme.
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA) - As of 12 April 2017, this allowance is £58.00 per week.
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP) - As of 10 April 2017, this allowance is £58.00 per week.
- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS) - As of 12 April 2017, this allowance is £64.80 per week.
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) - As of 12 April 2017, the mobility element of the allowance is £58.00 per week.
Who provides the vehicles?
All cars, scooters and powered wheelchairs provided under the Motability Scheme are leased to customers by Motability Operations Ltd, who operate the Scheme under contract to Motability. Both Motability and Motability Operations Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Motability Operations Ltd is a company responsible for the finance, administration and maintenance of Motability cars, scooters and powered wheelchairs.