Research and Innovation
To help us make even more impact, we want to build a better understanding of the transport lives of disabled people and the challenges that they face. We have carried out some research, including listening in depth to the views and perspectives of disabled people. We are publishing this work because we believe that the findings are important for a wide range of people and organisations who care about the same things that we do.
Here are some findings and testimonials from our 2020 research conducted with Britain Thinks and the National Centre for Social Research.
*Source - Statistics from the National Centre for Social Research (NatCen) of the National Travel Survey (NTS) 2018.
“Reliability is very important when you're a disabled person. When things go wrong it can be more than a nuisance, it can be dangerous for some disabled people.”
“My journey begins from outside my doorstep, as it’s from there that I am leaving my safe environment to embark into the unknown.”
Here is our video entitled "Building a better understanding of the transport lives of disabled people. July 2020" that summarises some of our finding from our work with Britain Thinks and the National Centre for Social Research.
Our Research Moving Forward
This year, in dialogue with disabled people’s organisations, we are aiming to identify the best new opportunities for Motability to improve mobility for disabled people in the future. We will also establish a new impact and evaluation function so that we can understand more clearly over time what makes the most difference to the mobility of disabled people, and ensure that we are using our resources effectively.
Here is the list of reports that are available on request by completing the form below:
- Rapid Evidence Assessment (REA): Disability and transport needs, gaps and innovation (NatCen)
- Secondary Analysis of the National Travel Survey (NTS) 2018 (NatCen)
- User Research: Transport needs for disabled people (BritainThinks)
- Research Summary: Building a better understanding of the transport lives of disabled people (Motability)
- Electric vehicle charging infrastructure for people living with disabilities (Ricardo Energy and Environment).