1. Print this page
    Print this page

    What age can I first receive the mobility allowance?

    The Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) can be awarded from the third birthday of the disabled person. It is possible to apply for the allowance before that date and as long as the eligibility criteria is met, the award will start from when the disabled person turns three. If a child under three has had the allowance confirmed, an application can be made up to three months before their third birthday, but the Motability Scheme agreement cannot start until the allowance is awarded.

    If a child above the age of three is in receipt of the Higher Rate Mobility Allowance, an application can be made to the Motability Scheme. Find out more information about How to join the Motability SchemeOpens in new window . The application will need to be submitted in the name of the appointee (parent or guardian) who is responsible for the allowance.

    Children who receive HRMC of DLA can remain on this benefit until they reach the age of 16 as long as they continue to satisfy the eligibility criteria. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will write to existing claimants before their 16th birthday to inform them when their DLA will end and how to claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

    The DWP currently have no plans to introduce PIP for those under the age of 16.

    Find out more information about carers and disability benefits, visit GOV.UK (opens in a new window).Opens in new window

Back to FAQs