1. Print this page
    Print this page

    What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

    PIP is the allowance which is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged between 16 and 64. Like DLA, PIP has two components: a daily living component and a mobility component. Each component has two rates of payment: a ‘standard rate’ and an ‘enhanced rate’ which is the same amount as the DLA. You can lease a Motability Scheme car, scooter or powered wheelchair by using the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, similar to the Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA.

    If you receive DLA, you will be invited to make a claim for PIP by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) at some point between 2013 and 2019. Until that point, you do not need to do anything. However, when you receive the letter, it is important to respond to the invitation within the given timescales.

    Find out more information about PIP from GOV.UK (opens in a new window).

    Find out about PIP and the Motability Scheme.

Back to FAQs