Print this page
Print this page

Applying for allowances

The Motability Scheme is available to anyone who receives one of the following allowances, with at least 12 months remaining:

-Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
-Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
-War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS).
-Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).

Carers and parents can drive on behalf of the disabled person, so parents of children (from the age of three) and non-drivers can apply to join. The vehicle must be used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person.

Lady in scooter pink.

If you receive one of the above qualifying benefits and have at least 12 months remaining on your award, you can apply for a Motability Scheme vehicle. Find out information about the Motability Scheme including how to join.

If you have not yet been awarded one of the above allowances, you will need to do this before you can apply to join the Motability Scheme.

Applying for mobility allowances

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for awarding two key disability benefits, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Disabled people can receive DLA or PIP whether they are in or out of work and these allowances are not means-tested or taxed. Although Motability works closely with the DWP on issues related to the Motability Scheme, Motability has never had any role in determining who should receive DLA or PIP; that is solely the responsibility of the DWP.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged 16 to 64. You can no longer apply for DLA if you’re aged 16 or over, in which case, you should apply for PIP. If you are under 16, you should apply for DLA .


Veterans UK are responsible for awarding Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) and War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS). If you are not successful in receiving these, you could apply for PIP if you have a long term health condition or disability.

Where to apply for mobility allowances

You can find out how to apply for DLA and PIP, and information on other relevant allowances, on the government’s website using the links below:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for those aged 16-64: in new window

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for those under 16: in new window

War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS): in new window

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP): in new window

What happens when I receive the allowance?

Once you receive confirmation of your disability allowance from the DWP or Veterans UK, you can then consider suitable vehicles and adaptations (if required) available on the Motability Scheme.

The Motability Scheme provides a simple way to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair without the worry of owning and running one. Find out information about the Motability Scheme, including how to join.