Grants for Cars and Vehicle Adaptations
What we offer
Through our Cars and Vehicle Adaptations Grant Programme, we currently focus help towards:
- Advance Payments towards a Motability Scheme car and any adaptations or vehicle manufacturer options necessary to use it;
- Adaptations needed mid-lease for a Scheme vehicle, due to a change in your circumstances; for example, your mobility may have changed and you now need different adaptations in order to drive comfortably and safely.
Our expert Case Managers and Driving Advisors will need to ask for information about your mobility needs to ensure the vehicle and adaptations we fund are right for you.
Who can apply
We are prioritising grants from this programme to people who:
Would like to join the Motability Scheme but cannot afford the Advance Payment of the vehicle and/ adaptations needed; or
Have a current lease agreement on the Motability Scheme which is ending and cannot afford the advance payment for their next Scheme vehicle and adaptations that they need.
Our grants are means tested to ensure that our funding supports those with the greatest need. This means we will look at your financial situation, including household income and savings, to determine if you are able to make a contribution.
How to apply
To be considered for a grant from the Cars and Vehicle Adaptations Grant Programme, contact Motability on 0800 023 4331. We will discuss what you need and if we think we can help, we will send you an application form (digital and paper versions available). You may speak with one of our business partners first, as there may be alternative options available to you.
Any applications will be considered alongside our Grant-making Policy and Cars and Adaptations Grants Policy.
Find out more about Scheme-related Grant Programmes:
Advance Payments for WAVs can be expensive and we can provide grants towards the cost of:
- - Advance Payments towards a WAV and any adaptation or dealer options you need.
- - Adaptations needed mid-lease due to a change in circumstances.
- - Familiarisation lessons to assist with new driving controls; for example, when using hand controls for the first time.
We can fund vehicles which you drive while seated in your wheelchair, adaptations to help you transfer from your wheelchair while in the vehicle or help towards the cost of complex vehicle conversions (where the total cost of adaptations and dealer options is greater than £10,000).
Meet Shadrach and his Mum, Emma. Motability helped with the cost of the Advance Payment of a Motability Scheme vehicle suitable for Shadrach, who has Cerebral Palsy and is deaf and short-sighted. Emma says: "The car has helped my family a lot; it has made it easy to travel to one place and another. The grant we received also helped a lot for the deposit towards the Motability Scheme vehicle. I can go to places easily without worry or thinking of how to get there. With the Motability Scheme we've got back-up if a problem arises."